Life After HaHa

I guess “post HaHa” really started once we left Cabo San Lucas and started heading up the inside of BaJa. But still we are traveling in company with many of our new friends from the rally–seems like 3 of 4 boats in the area who are actively cruising were part of the rally. We spent the first two nights at the marina so crew could transition easier to hotels and the airport. Bob and Peggy stayed an extra week at Peggy’s time-share condo. Teri’s boy friend Ken flew down and they stayed on for a week at a really quaint Air-B&B. The Mikes stayed on the boat until their flights left. Staying on the boat in Cabo was kind of like a combination of camping on the Las Vegas strip and on the boardwalk at Coney Island. Exciting but gets old after a short time. We stayed through the final Awards Party for the HaHa. (Yay, more party) Then went out and anchored off for a couple more days. Not quiet or calm but FREE. The jet skis and constant flow of panga water taxis made for a bumpy mooring. We ended up 2nd in our division for the HaHa which was great since the boat who won, Serendipity, never motored the whole way which gave them the automatic “win”. We were happy to motor a little so we could get to Turtle Bay and Bahia Santa Maria with plenty of time to enjoy the local scene rather than flopping around for an extra day in no wind. Hey, it’s a rally, not a race.
Once Mikey left for the airport we decided to start for La Paz 150 miles up the peninsula. First stop 20 miles away was San Jose del Cabo to hang out until Big Mike’s departure for the airport. It was a nice contrast to the other Cabo. Quiet marina, much more authentic town, and best of all— NO jet skis. The air was very warm and the sea temp was 84 degrees. A nice refreshing plung into the ocean to cool off didn’t really refresh that much. We’re glad that ice and beer are cheap here. We went through plenty trying to stay hydrated. Unfortunately Mike was sick (bad ice?) when we put him in a cab for the airport. Sorry man, we felt for you, everyone on the dock was concerned as well.
It was weird suddenly being alone on the boat–empty nesters. Well, we still have Lucy. But we miss everyone. On the plus side, the boat does seem a lot bigger now.
In the winter, the Sea of Cortez often experiences northerly winds which can blow very strong for days on end. The water gets very choppy and cold. Kind of like the straits of Juan de Fuca in July. That’s why we’re planning to cross over to Mazatlan and cruise south toward Zihuatenejo during the winter, it’ll be warmer and calmer there; then explore the Sea in the spring when it settles down. But first we’re taking this little excursion up to the La Paz area before winter sets in. But I think it is setting in already. We bucked 25 knots of wind on the leg 2 hop up to Los Frailes, a neat little bay just south of the Pulmo Reef–the only living hard coral reef on the west side of North America. We had planned to dive the reef but it was too rough outside Frailes bay to attempt a dive. Still, we stayed for several days enjoying the snorkeling in protected waters and nice sandy beach which we could land on without too much drama. There were about a dozen boats from the HaHa there so plenty of socializing. Each night, the water was filled with thousands of 16-24″ fish swarming the boat and constantly brushing the hull. I think they were some sort of corvina. Getting in the water would have been too weird though.
I needed to get to a dentist to deal with a tooth ache that has been plaguing me since San Diego. We decided to make one long push up to La Paz before a predicted increase in the north wind to 30 knots (which really means 35) expected to last for several days. Left the Anchorage at 11:00 PM when the breeze seemed to calm down but rounded the corner into 25 knots and 5′ chop that slowed the boat to 4 knots. Hmmm. Another 100 miles to La Paz pounding into bone jarring chop. “Donna, why don’t we just fall off and sail down wind to Mazatlan?” “Go with the flow. There are plenty of dentists in Mazatlan.” She said “sure let’s do it”. “OK, we’ll give it 10 minutes” (then we’d change course to cross the Sea of Cortez for Mazatlan–180 miles away.) But 10 minutes later waves let up a little and within an hour we were sailing (no engine) on a close reach in 12 knots of wind–perfect. Arrived La Paz the next day about 2:00 PM. As we passed the Espiritu Santo islands–an absolutely pristine protected area–we were glad we kept on. After taking care of business in La Paz, we’d be back to explore. Tons of protected bays and geological formations that take your breath away. Kind of the Desolation Sound of the La Paz area.
Arriving in La Paz we secured a weekly rate at the Cortez Marina to sit out the upcoming blow, do repairs to the boat and find a Dentist for a possible root canal. Looks like a very cool town. I can see why a lot of cruisers get this far and never leave.



The Seahawk’s fans at Cortes Marina catching the 49ers game in a rather nice setting


Simi & Maggie decided to give Lucy a bath.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s